|In October of 1841 General Zachary Taylor recommended that a new fort
be established in the south-centeral part of the Choctaw and Chickasaw
lands on the Washita River. When Company "A" of the Second Regiment of
Dragoons arrived in April of 1842 Fort Washita was established.
With the outbreak of the Civil War, Fort Washita was abandoned by the union. Confederates occupied the fort and it served as a Confederate supply depot.
After the war frontier expansion had made the post obsolete and in 1870 Fort Washita was transferred to the Department of the Interior.